Southern Arizona Chapter of IDA (SA-IDA)
"Light Pollution" - The Only Pollution that Costs More to Perpetuate than to Eliminate!
Poor Outdoor Lighting is Causing Serious Problems on Many "Levels".
You can make a difference with outdoor lighting!
No Light Above the Horizontal - Right Amount of Light for the Task - On Only When Needed
To preserve and protect the nighttime environment and our heritage of dark skies through Quality and Responsible outdoor lighting.
A wonderful poem "Saving the Desert's Dark Skies" presented to the IDA at their Annual General Meeting held in December, 2016 by Xander, an inspired 6th grade student. (read)
- "Experimenting With Light" - Our 20 minutes hands on activity for students from grades 4 to 12 (participate with us at one of the STEM events)
- USA Lights at Night Poster (view) See if you can find Tucson and your hometown?
- Revised 2012 Outdoor Lighting Code for City of Tucson and Pima County Approved (view/download)
- Outdoor Lighting Violations are Reported to your City or County Development Services Department, See our "Outdoor Lighting Codes" page for some of these links.
- Our glossy brochure available to stores, schools, groups to use for handouts (view)
- Education/Classroom Helpers - Several activities, games, videos, puzzles, worksheets, etc. (view)
- U of A Football Stadium Lights for HD Broadcasts - (see Before and After photos)
Twice as much light on the field, saving 25% electricity costs, and light spill significantly reduced...
- How Much Water can you save with very simple electricity saving measures? (details)
Each family can save over 1,700 gallons per year, all of Arizona can save over 3.4 Billion Gallons per Year
- Poster - Lights at Night -USA printed for handouts (view/download)
- Narrated Power Point Presentation "Wreaking Havoc" with Outdoor Lights (view/download)
- "Go Green" with Responsible Outdoor Lighting - tri-fold Brochure (view/download)
The Southern Arizona Section of the International Dark-Sky Association (SA-IDA) meets
on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, usually at 5:30 p.m., 3225 N. First Ave, Tucson, AZ. (entrance is in southwest corner in the court yard area)
Check our "Meetings" page to verify dates and for details.
All are Welcome to attend and participate in our meetings and volunteer to work on some projects.
We Need Your Help! Click here for details ...
Parent Organization: International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) Web Site
web last updated on 2/19/18
Send mail to webmaster at sa-ida dot org with questions or comments about this web site.