Outdoor Lighting Codes are normally administered within the municipalities Building Code Department and their statutes. Tucson and Pima County implemented their first code in 1972. Codes normally start out very simple and then get stronger with revisions about every 3 or 4 years. There are State, County and City codes for most of Arizona.
- State of Arizona (2012)
- City of Tucson, Pima County and South Tucson (revised 2/7/12, now exact same code for all 3 municipalities)
- Town of Oro Valley (Nov. 2011)
- Marana (2008)
- Town of Sahuarita (2012)
- Pinal County (Saddlebrooke, Oracle, Casa Grande, Florence, etc.)
- Cochise County (12/1/05 Sierra Vista, Herford, Bisbee, Douglas, etc
- City of Bisbee (8/6/14 Chapter 7.10 of City Code last updated Aug 2014, not sure when Light Pollution Code updated)
- Santa Cruz County (Nogales, Rio Rico, etc.)
Code Related Items
Is there an offensive or obtrusive light in your neighborhood or nearby shopping center that you believe is in violation of Outdoor Lighting Codes? Then file a complaint with your local Development Services Department for your city or county. Most of these agencies have online forms.
Our parent IDA organization has developed a Model Lighting Ordinance and other material regarding Outdoor Lighting Codes